Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Loving Jane

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."
                          ~Jane Austen

   I went to a wedding this past weekend and besides enjoying the company of friends and the spreading of well-wishes it made me think about love and romance! One of my most favorite writers famous for her love stories is Jane Austen. I have loved her books and the adapted films since I was a little girl! In my final research paper at university I presented on the topic of the female identity and the struggle throughout history for women to find their voice and perspective through writing. Jane Austen was one of the authors that I spoke about for her portrayal of women in a very strict and enclosed society. I quoted critics who wrote about the attitude of Austen's characters being one of "grace under pressure" - facing the world and it's realities with poise and dignity. Her love stories embody this grace and have always captivated me. The photos for today include my copies of favorite Jane Austen novels and pictures from a few of the film and television adaptations that I love including the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. Also, some photos taken of an article from an old Victoria magazine that featured a gorgeous Jane Austen inspired photoshoot. The illustrations are borrowed from Emma Adaptations which includes, among other things, a gallery of illustrations from early editions of the novel 'Emma'. Last but not least to begin my little Jane Austen tribute the 2007 ITV trailer for the Jane Austen Season - BBC adapted the Jane Austen stories beautifully and I definitely advise you see them all if you haven't already!


























No comments:

Post a Comment