Monday, August 1, 2011

Antique Books

"A precious, mouldering pleasure t'is
To meet an antique book,
In just the dress his century wore;
A privilege, I think."
        ~Emily Dickinson

    I felt the need for a change in my room this week and started moving things around. The subsequent rearranging, sorting, and cleaning out left me sore and exhausted yesterday evening! Some furniture was moved out and other pieces moved in (from down a flight of stairs - hence my fatigue). As a result I found myself going through a lot of things deciding what needed to be kept or put away or *gasp* thrown out! My collection of antique books is stored in a bookcase downstairs and had to be rearranged to make space for my new books - so I had a chance to leaf through the crackly pages of all of the books my Nana has given me and those I have collected over the years. It inspired me to take some pictures for you of the old books that I love. My sister also loves antique books and some of these photos are of her collection as well. There is something wonderful about opening a book that is a hundred years old smelling the faded paper and touching the inscriptions in the front cover. You feel a part of the past and happy in the knowledge that you are preserving something rare and precious. Enjoy the photos!

























No comments:

Post a Comment